NCCA - Special Studies in Christian Counseling
The Special Studies in Christian Counseling is offered through the Division of Adult Education of Bacone College, Muskogee, OK. and the National Christian Counseling Association of Sarasota, FL. This program is designed to offer the student academic credit through a regionally accredited four-year church-affiliated institution and advanced certification through the National Christian Counseling Association, Sarasota, FL.
Students will be enrolled as full time students in a fully accredited college. As a result, students who qualify for Federal Financial Aid or Veteran's Benefits may receive aid to pay the costs of the program.
The Special Studies in Christian Counseling is designed for those desiring to gain competency in Christian counseling skills.
This concentration combines excellent academic training, actual ministry experience, and theological reflection on that experience. Students who successfully complete this program will receive a transcript from Bacone College and certification in counseling from the National Christian Counselors Association.
The Christian Counseling Profession
Who should consider the Special Studies in Christian Counseling?
- Christian leaders who want to be better equipped through accredited academic training and professional certification to serve those in need of counsel
- Pastors/Ministers who want to be more effective in counseling members of their community who are experiencing problems
- Christian leaders who need to stay in their place of work and service while they learn
- Christian leaders who want to be credentialed in counseling to enter the field of counseling as a part time or full time ministry
- Christian leaders who need financial assistance to complete their training
Goals of the Program
- To provide the busy Christian leader with access to accredited training in Christian counseling through the use of distance education provided by the Division of Adult Education of Bacone College
- To provide the Christian leader with tools for effective Christian counseling through accredited academic training in counseling and utilization of temperament theory
- To offer supervised experience in Christian counseling through the faculty of Bacone College's Division of Adult Education
- In partnership with the National Christian Counseling Association, to offer the student the opportunity to earn Advanced Certification in Christian Counseling conferred by NCCA, not Bacone College.
Courses are taught in an 8-week, online format combining the best of both worlds in distance education:
- 15 minute micro lectures which can be view online on your schedule
- Moodle on-line coursework and assignments which can be submitted on your schedule
- Breeze video conferencing for virtual classroom interaction with your instructor and your fellow students, keeping you motivated and moving through the program
How the Program Works
These Special Studies are offered through the Bacone College Division of Adult Education, and is specifically designed for the adult learner. The student will complete the following:
- 4 academic courses in Christian counseling (12 credit hours)
- 2 academic courses: Certification in Christian Counseling I &II which include the required NCCA Certification courses (6 credit hours)
- 1–9 credit session of internship
All students who apply for the Special Studies in Christian Counseling program will be Pre-Christian Ministry (AA) students who are seeking the Associate of Arts in Christian Ministry through the Degree Completion program in the Division of Adult Education.
Like all degree completion programs at Bacone College, only 49% of the program will be offered in an online distance education format. The remaining 51% of the degree must be completed in a face-to-face classroom experience. The 27 credit hours in the Special Studies in Christian Counseling will constitute the online hours the student completes towards the Associate of Arts in Christian Ministry through the Division of Adult Education.
Upon completion of these 27 credit hours, students will apply to the Division Chair to be declared a Christian Ministry major. Upon successful admission to the Christian Ministry major, students will be required to complete the remaining 33 hours in a traditional face-to-face classroom setting to receive an Associate of Arts in Christian Ministry through the Division of Adult Education.